The Barbados International Business Association (BIBA) is the successor to under the Barbados Association of International Business Companies and Offshore Banks (BAIBCOB) which was originally formed in 1993. Four years later BIBA was incorporated under the Barbados Companies Act (Cap 308) and came into being in November 1997 when a decision was made to embrace the membership of BAIBCOB, the Canada Barbados Business Association (CBBA) as well as the Barbados International Insurance Association (BIIA) under one umbrella.
BIBA is a not-for-profit private sector organisation that comprises companies involved in international business in Barbados and companies that are otherwise strategically associated with this sector. BIBA has a current membership of over 170 companies.
BIBA’s key functions are to:
- be the industry’s voice on any matters relating to conducting business in Barbados;
- provide a forum for membership exchange of information and ideas;
- be the catalysts for creating and maintaining public and private sector unity for Barbados’s development;
- liaise with and facilitate the work of the relevant government ministries, statutory boards and other organizations involved in the development and regulation of international business in Barbados;
- be an invaluable partner to the government and the people of Barbados as it relates to the country’s developmental efforts;
- be an authority and major source of information on matters relating to international business;
- be a major point of contact for helpful advice and orientation for new investors to the island.
The Association has a full-time Secretariat with an Executive Director, an Executive Assistant, Marketing and Communications Officer and an Office Assistant to ensure the efficient conduct of the members’ business.
The day-to-day operations of BIBA are overseen by an Executive Committee consisting of, the President, 1st Vice President, 2nd Vice President, Executive Director, Treasurer and Secretary.
The Executive Committee reports to the Board of Directors which comprises 14 elected persons, including the officers identified above, and the past President (Ex-Officio). All directors are elected by the membership at the Association’s annual general meeting.
Within the Association, there is flexibility to allow membership groups to work in committees in their individual areas of interest: Legal profession, Insurance, Banking & Wealth Management, Marketing and Communications, Tax and Service Providers/IBC.
BIBA offers its members an array of benefits that are designed to give their businesses the ability to function according to their individual goals and objectives. These include, but are not limited to:
- the offering of input into laws, regulations and policy decisions affecting international business;
- the accessibility to valuable sources of information and analysis of developments in the sector;
- the availability of an attractive medical plan to all members in good financial standing;
- listing in the on-line BIBA members’ directory;
- networking opportunities with local and international contacts;
- the ability to post press releases of business or corporate developments on BIBA’s website at preferential rates.
Please also find here:
- A copy of the Association’s By-Laws
MEMBER SUBSCRIPTIONS (all prices in BDS $)
Application Fee (non-refundable) $200
1 – 5 employees
$1,250.00 per annum + 17.5% VAT
6 – 10 employees
$2,500.00 per annum + 17.5% VAT
More than 10 employees
$4,200.00 per annum + 17.5% VAT
Since the membership year ends on March 31st, new applications are pro-rated quarterly from April 1st in each year as received. Receipts are issued on request only.
Should you have any questions pertaining to the Association, please do not hesitate to contact us.